페이지 정보작성자 EMP Master (118.♣.25.♣) 작성일19-03-19 17:29 조회2,677회 댓글0건
1. Farmers plant more seeds than are necessary to ensure full breeding.
2. If more plants sprout than are necessary, the extra plants should be pulled out, before they choke out the most promising sprout.
3. It can be difficult for farmers to kill their own offspring, though they know it’s for the best.
4. As a writer, you may be faced with the similar problem.
5. Maybe there is a character you like but he does nothing to move the story along.
6. If you are getting good sound advice from all around you that certain materials don’t work, think about being flexible to make sure you don’t choke out the story with them.
choke 목을 조르다, 질식시키다; 1. cannot breathe properly 2. to squeeze one’s neck
breeding 번식 fit into ~에 꼭 들어맞다
adore ~을 무척 좋아하다 flexible 융통성 있는
7. But while a large population may have been necessary, in itself it was not sufficient for science to germinate.
8. Some empires were big, but the rigid social control required to hold an empire together was not beneficial to science, just as it was not beneficial to reason.
9. The early nurturing and later flowering of science required a large and loosely structured, competitive community to support original thought and freewheeling incentive.
10. The rise in commerce and the decline of authoritarian religion allowed science to follow reason in seventeenth-century Europe.
renowned 유명한 driving force 추진력 evolution 발전, 진화
debate 토론하다 inference 추론(하다) predict 예측하다
freewheeling 자유분방한 authoritarian 권위주의적인 sufficient 충분한
11. The same can be seen in the Fukushima nuclear reactor, which experienced a huge failure in 2011 when a tsunami struck.
12. It had been built to endure the worst past historical earthquake, with the builders not imaging much worse – and not thinking that the worst past event had to be a surprise, as it had no precedent.
precedent 전례 없는; an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.
scenario 시나리오 recession 경기침체 estimate 추정하다, 추정치
exceed 능가하다, 초과하다 inconsistency 불일치, 모순 defect 흠, 오류
be equal to ~와 같다 nuclear reactor 원자로 strike 닥치다, 발생하다
“When we fantasize about it – especially when you fantasize something very positive – it’s almost like you are actually living it,” says one of the study’s co-authors.
That tricks the mind into thinking the goal has been achieved, draining the incentive to “get energized to go and get it,” she explains.
Subjects may be better off imaging how to surmount obstacles instead of ignoring them.
unfold 전개되다, 진행되다; If a situation unfolds, it develops and becomes known or understood. If a story unfolds or if sb unfolds it, it is told to sb else.
envision 상상하다; to imagine sth not yet in existence; picture in the mind; to conceive of as a possibility, esp. in the future; foresee; conjure 떠올리다, 상상하다
drain 쏟아내다, 소진시키다
be better off 더 나아지다; If you say that sb would be better off doing sth, you are advising them to do it or expressing the opinion that it would benefit them to do it.
surmount 극복하다; to prevail ove; overcome; to ascend and cross to the opposite side of; to lie on top of or rise above; to put sth on top of or above; to surpass or exceed; If you surmount a problem or difficulty, you deal successfully with it. If sth is surmounted by a particular thing, that thing is on top of it.
fantasize 환상을 가지다; If you fantasize about an event or situation that you would like to happen, you give yourself pleasure by imaging that it is happening, although it is untrue or unlikely to happen.; If sb fantasizes, they try to excite themselves sexually by imaging a particular person or situation.
incentive 동기; If sth is an incentive to do sth, it encourages you to do it.; a motivating influence; stimulus; an additional payment made to employees as a means of increasing production.
13. I would like to compare the shift from analog to digital film-making to the shift from fresco and tempera to oil painting in the early Renaissance.
14. The switch to oils greatly liberated painters by allowing them to quickly create much larger compositions as well as to modify them as long as necessary.
15. Similarly, by allowing a filmmaker to treat a film image as an oil painting, digital technology redefines what can be done with cinema.
fresco 프레스코 방식 tempera 템페라 방식
compare A to B A를 B에 비유하다 shift 변화 modify 수정하다, 바꾸다
medieval 중세의 practice 관행, 행동, 수행, 행위, 연습하다
rework 다시 작업하다 painstaking 수고스러운 process 과정
switch 전환 liberate 해방시키다 composition 구성요소, 구성, 작품
as long as ~한다면, ~하는 한 redefine 다시 정의하다, 재정의하다
equate A with B A와 B를 동일시하다 treat A as B A를 B처럼 대하다
integrate 통합하다 oils 유화
등록된 댓글이 없습니다.